Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Majesty of a Moment [October 20]

I remember blinking back to reality and finding myself refocus on the list that Morgan Freeman was holding in his hand. I was watching The Bucket List for the first time and my mind had started racing when Morgan's dying character expressed a desire to "see something truly majestic." I thought of the beauty of the earth and sky, the plan of salvation prepared by a grand and loving Creator, and the sacrifices made within human hearts and shared by mortal hands.

There have been countless moments in my life when I have been awestruck with a profound sense of reverence and respect for what I have come to treasure as sacred. I think those are the moments to live for--and I think I would like to collect them. So tonight I'm starting a quest to simply recognize the majesty of the moments within my everyday life. Two things come to my mind regarding today:

I have always thought that life was not fair--I have been given far more than I ever deserved. When I think about the food that is always on the table, the comfort of my home and my apartment, my health, the health of my family, my friends, my testimony, etc. I am so grateful...and very overwhelmed by the gifts of a loving Heavenly Father. I recently realized that all of God's gifts keep giving. Have you ever noticed that? He simply puts something into place and sets it in motion and it just keeps giving. The earth regenerates, forgiveness is extended, and His truth allows us to be propelled toward an eternity of happiness with Him. It just makes me want to give back--to be better. I remember my Dad saying once that we (his children) were his greatest investment. He put so much into raising us and helping us prepare for the future--and I remember thinking that I wanted to be true to that investment. I owe my Dad so much, but I owe my Heavenly Father even more. I want to be true to the investment He has placed in me--that is a debt I will never be able to repay...but I want to try.

I digress. So a majestic moments I want to record today revolve around people. Friends and family are also gifts from Heavenly Father that keep giving. He put them in my life and they keep me up and hold me together. I talked to a couple of really good friends of mine that I hadn't talked to in awhile--Lindsay and Toni--who attentively listened to me and seemed genuinely interested in my life. In turn, they shared with me some tidbits of their lives at this time. We all talked about how life was different for us than we had planned...but that we were each very grateful for what we had. They both are such stalwart examples of faith and trust in guidance from a God who they talk to often. The majesty of the moments that we spent on the phone came in the fact that they didn't even know what a light they each were to me. They were just doing the best they could with what they knew--but it taught me volumes and I found myself making my own course corrections because of them. I am a better person for knowing them and I will forever be grateful for their quiet goodness that shouted to me exactly what I needed to hear.

1 comment:

Toni said...

It was wonderful to talk to you. I do not know what you find of benefit in my example but you have always been an example that I want to follow. You are such a sweet, kind person and I hope someday to have as positive an attitude!
Love you Nikki!