Monday, June 16, 2008

Contacts: [February 2008]

I’ve officially been home for a month now!

Time has passed so quickly; I would have a hard time believing it’s been five weeks except I know that so much has happened. We celebrated Christmas, visited my Dad’s side of the family in Las Vegas, visited my Mom’s side of the family in North Carolina, and I started the semester at BYU.

Throughout all the hustle and bustle I’ve been able to find a powerful anchor in my personal scripture study, church and temple attendance, and personal prayer. I’ve learned for myself, all over again, that when we put the Lord first and trust in Him that He will take care of us. I’m so grateful for that God who is the champion for the weak and simple. I can testify that He will not forsake us.

I’ve needed that anchor as I’ve started in “get back in the swing of things” here in post-mission life.

CLASSES:

I’m currently enrolled in marketing, organizational behavior, supply chain management, managerial economics, and intro to real estate. My teachers are really great and the readings and discussions are really interesting. I’m excited to be where I am.

HOUSING:

My amazing family has set up a room for me in the basement of their home in Lehi, UT. It’s only 30 minutes for me to get from their driveway to the BYU parking-lot. It’s the perfect place to stay as I continue to spend time around my family and search for a job. I have to say I’m one of the luckiest people alive. I’m so grateful for the setup.

Exciting Discoveries:

My jeans!

My curlers!

My shoes!

My jewelry!

HIGHLIGHTS:

Someone asked me the other day, “What’s the most exciting thing you’ve done since you’ve been back?” Here are some of the highlights of this past month:

Spending time with the family has been great. Just yesterday I went sledding with my sisters. I love sledding! Brooke and I went down the hill on our little saucer sled over and over. She didn’t think the idea of spinning all the way down sounded like fun…until she let us try it. Then she couldn’t get enough! I couldn’t either! If you’re looking for a stress reliever I definitely recommend sliding down a snow-covered hill as fast as you can…spinning. :o)

Catching up with old friends has been priceless. I went up to Temple Square in Salt Lake City to see a couple of friends from my freshman year. We toured the Church History Museum where the original Smith-Patented Press is on display. (At the Book of Mormon Publication Site we show the working replica of that press.) While we were up there we also checked out the Gateway mall—I don’t know where that came from. I’ll tell you what, I get dizzy sometimes looking up at buildings that were never there before.

It’s been fun to just do random things too—I went to a hockey game (go Sabres! I mean BYU!) :o) ventured out cross-country skiing, ice-skated in a picturesque part of Salt Lake City, and had a blast attempting to country dance in Provo.

I have loved getting your emails, phone calls, and letters! Thanks so much!

SCRIPTURE:

“I will be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye will keep my command -ments….and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led.” -1Nephi 17:13

If anyone ever wants to get my attention all they have to do is mention New York. I especially love talking to people who are familiar with Palmyra, Rochester, Buffalo, or the Finger Lakes area. There’s a piece of my heart that is still there…and it always will be. Know that I miss you guys and I think about you and pray for you often. Until next month!

--(Sister) Nikki Nelson

February 2008

No comments: